English: Summarize Everything
This is a course serving non-native speakers of English at all levels.
To write a good summary is important to thoroughly understand the material, when we borough thoughts from others and when we work academically. Learn more about the preliminary steps and rules and regulations for writing a good summary in English.
In the first lesson (face-to-face session) we will look at the main rules and standards for writing good summaries in English.
After this lesson, we will switch to a blended learning format, which will make it easier for you to combine this course with your main studies. On Sakai, your writing-coach will let you have three texts referring to different themes and topic blocks. You will be asked to summarize the texts over the course of three weeks. Upload your summary to Sakai and your coach will let you have a fully-corrected version of your text(s) at the end of each week and will be available for questions you might have.
Main goals of this course:
- to improve writing skills
- to refresh- and develop new vocabulary
After the course you will be able to
- write summaries following standards and conventions in English
- know about the difference between paraphrasing and summarizing
- use what you know about writing for your reading techniques in English
Please note that you will be required to work on assignments outside of class and you must submit all three summaries to pass this course with a certificate.
- Number of participants: min. 6 -15
- Units: 8
- Price: € 45,00
- Dates: 1 face-to-face session; 3 upload-deadlines (This course does not take place in the winter semester 2017)